Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index Forum Albatross 3D Forum
Albatross 3D Users Forums

Albatross 3D Web Site

Register Register 
 Profile Profile    Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages    Log in Log in    Memberlist Memberlist 

Hey, Pierre

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dukytyme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Hey, Pierre Reply with quote

Hi, Sir.
I just wanted to tell ya that PpModeler is great. The new features are amazing as well. Have a few question about the Stick tool, it looks awesome:

I notice in the video you made, that you brought in a subdivided box and some how used the geometry from that as a generator for the geometry you used to create the mask on your character. I was wondering why is it nessesary to have an arbitrary object around as a geometry "palatte" to "Stick" geometry on another object? Is it in the case that maybe one would want to, say, make a mask of the same material as the other object and can just model it on without having to worry about texturing the mask?

I was also wondering if the new features are going to be documented soon, or made available for download. If they are available, could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks, this modeler is great.

Also, there is something about the UI that kinda throws me off, but I think it is just because I have been using Windows for too long. I use Blender, so it took me a while to get used to that UI also.

Again, great application, I like where it is headed.
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the doc, it is not up to date, I know.
The best you can found is this post:
http://www.ppmodeler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56

The box is just to create something in order to start. Currently, ppModeler don't support mesh with no faces... So, I create a basic geometry mesh, and start to "draw" on the other one. Once a face is created for the mesh, the box can be removed.
The material of the created face is comming from the parameters in the right.
what is problem with th ui ?
dukytyme

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: UI Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with the UI. I am just thrown off a little.

First, after not using PPmodeler for a while, it took me a while to find a basic navigation workflow. the standard tools are available, but the hot-keys are not(or atleast not at first.). this information, if in the docs with the app are hard to find. I found out that holding the ctrl/alt/ctrl+alt are the quick keys I needed and if they are listed in "Shotkeys", I grew weary trying to find them.

I like the idea Ppmodeler seems to have of customizing hotkeys. And I think you set it up to customize the interface too? How do I add my shortkey text to the tool-tips?

I like the UI, but like Blender, I guess I have to get used to it Smile

Great work, Sir
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the rc directory, there is a tips.rc file. it is a text file, can be edited with notepad.
But, actually, I'm thinking of creating a database, online, for tips, and resources (text, icons...) for translations, new tip of the day...
If you come with a new set of shortkey close to the one of another program, just sent it to me. I will distribute it, or better, create set of shortkeys for ppModeler.

craouette
dukytyme

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: awesome Reply with quote

I should have known about the .rc file. i seen it referened on the tip of the day form.

Great.

All I have to do now is get into the workflow of this program. I am a little disoreinted. I will do as you say.

I am plesantly intriged by the stick tool in that video that adds the geometry to a mesh. I hope to learn the advantages of this tool, as it looks cool on the video. Like one could enhance the topology of an object; more detail in eyes, mouth loops and wrinkles, etc.

My problem is just getting used to the UI. It's different. Blender is different too, and when i got to learn it, I feel it is like the greatest UI ever Smile. Maybe after I learn the Ppmodeler UI, I will see that it enhances workflow also.

Anyways, I have been watching your application for a while and reciently joined your forum and I am glad to be here and hope to see more experienced modelers demonstrate usage of Ppmodeler for new commers.

Blender is my main tool, and I don't like Wings 3D at all (sorry).

Sorry for the long post. BTW, have you seen MarbleClay? It is a 3D modeler that has some cool features, like a tool that draws freehand verts connected, quick facet creation. the bones tool is lacking much, as well as the UV tools. But, in a way, it reminds me of Ppmodeler. I think Ppmodeler has a little more sexy of a look and better hierarchical arrangment of scene and objects.

Well, I'm off to experiment with what you told me about the .rc text file to add my tool tips(Totaly cool that you enabled that ability).

Great modeler

Thank you.
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have you seen MarbleClay?

No in a long time. May be I will try it one of this day.

For the stick tool, I decided to do it for one think:
Having a model in high resolution from ZBrush, and "drawing" a low resolution on it with the correct edge flow. After, you just have to apply a
normal map... But it can be used for meny thinks, like drawing props on objects, re-mesh part a a mesh, add details...
Normally, OmegaUltraus will make a tutorial on it....

craouette
dukytyme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: great Reply with quote

That's great news. I'll look foward to the tutorial from OmegaUltarus.
Powerful program, it's taking me a bit to grasp it.

yeah, the stick tool seems multi-functional; for re-working maybe a rough sculpture, like you said: proper edgeflow. Right now, I'm re-reading the documentation to try and get solid on the basic tools and UI functionality.

There seems to be a lot of functions in the menubar that relate to actions carried out in the workspace. I'm sure they are documented, I just need to find them and make not to myself as to what action they belong.

BTW, awesome that you are the sole developer / creator. Must be an enormous amount of work. Ppmodeler is enjoyable. Thank you very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index -> How To All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: