Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index Forum Albatross 3D Forum
Albatross 3D Users Forums

Albatross 3D Web Site

Register Register 
 Profile Profile    Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages    Log in Log in    Memberlist Memberlist 

What the f.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manleystanley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: What the f..... Reply with quote

I'm a demo junky, always in search of new modeling programs.
Downloaded this a few days ago and just had the chance to do something with this.
1. Importing file types seems hit or miss; more miss. As in acts like it imports but shows no model. I've actually only managed to import 1 model.
2. Did the mpeg render, looked like a show room rotation. Went to play it and it not only did it shut down my media player but also shut down the folder it was in. Then just a single click on it shut down the folder, as in I couldn't even delete it. Had to delete the entire folder Deablo model and all textures. Mad

I'm still evauating it, I like the clean interface, and the selection of import/export file types; if I could get it to. But I'll read up a bit before I use it again.
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for 1:
whenever you find a file you can't import, forward it to me (I won't use it for otherthinks than testing import). I will correct the problem, or document it (for dxf there is a lot of features unsupported, and unless there is a huge demand for it, I don't plan to spend time on implementing all features).
Sometime, the model is far alway. Check in the parameters pannel for the center of the object. There is also a menu item in the view menu to bring back a mesh to the world center.
for 2:
It is standard mpeg file, generated by a library. never had a problem with it (that do not mean there isn't Smile). you can send the mpeg file to a me (or a friend) to check it eventually. But I don't think I can do something about it.

craouette
manleystanley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no check to it. it is gone.
How big of an inbox do you have Laughing
Something that caught my eye was it imports 3do. I work a bit at converting tracks, my favorite being GPL; Grand pre ledgends, they are usually the most accuret. The GPL .dat file unpacks to 3do. I already know the not all the 3do's are models, some I think are "instences"{?}. One of the things I hate about converting tracks is all the fomate converting; 3do-wrl-cob-lwo-x, it would be so nice just to import the 3do model, work it and export a .x. Wink
I work in .3ds, .lwo, .obj, .x, and .cob. And have a nice selection. I haven't really had too much time to work with this yet, I'm tring to squeeze it in as I can.
Right now I'm beta testing Genetica 2.5 pro, profing plants and trees for the up coming release of the Terragen2 beta, learning how to use a few odd plant and tre generation programs, learning how to use Carrara, and working on the Virginia international and Nurburgring tracks; conversions to GP500. And sneaking in a few races on NFS:UG.
Short attention span Laughing
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3do is a file specific to ppModeler.
3de is fro 3d editor and 3do for 3d object. it has the same format than the scene file, but for a single mesh object with associated texture and materials.

Good luck with your tests.

craouette
manleystanley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing... number 9..... number 9..... Laughing

From this AM. Wink
The 3ds importer has some scaling issues. A few 3ds models I imported were too big to work; while zooming out the back was disapearing before the front came into view. Or too small to work; zoomed in as far as possable, one more click and the object disapeared. Is there anyway to scale on import? I know I can scale them up/down once in, but a couple of times I didn't think it had actually imported the model. But there it was, a tiny speck in the middle of the grid.
Went through an entire track folder of 3dos, ppmodeler wouldn't open any of them.
And I take it ppmodeler dosen't show textures on the model?

About to give it a run throw some lwo's, already got a bad file warning, but that that was a Metasequoia lwo and the only thing I have found that will open them is 3dexploration. Then dxf, don't have too many of these, but I do have a couple of track editor/converters that only export as dxf.
I take it wrl is not vrml 1.0? When I set it to import vrml, it shows me the wrl's but wont open them. I know I have some vrml's but I will have to find them. I have a track converter that gives me vrml from a .mat compressed folder.
Most obj files open fine, but I haven't checked too many. And one of my conversion program gives me some raw's that nothing will open, including ppmodeler. In fact I don't think I have had anything that says it will open an raw that actually will.
Now it's late PM here. Didn't get back to this today I was err... aa...... finishing silent hill3 Embarassed
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for 3do, it is a format created for ppModeler. no link with orther format, sorry.

For VRML, yes only 1.0 is supported on import, and 2.0 on export.
I plan to go to x3d, and leave vrml behind...
The problem with raw is the lack of definition. no format, or very basic, and one call it raw.

For the size and position, I will have a look... I think I will add a window after importing asking for centering, size, and axis switching.

ppModeler shows texture on model, use the 'd' key until you have the 'Phong' drawing model display in the top right of a view...

craouette
manleystanley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check out the settings.
Where are you all intending to go with this? Is it going to be for CG artists or game design/moders? They have different demands on format type and modeling program abiletys.
In track conversion almost all converters goes through a wrl format. I usually convert from wrl to .cob, because that's the format I'm working in most offten. i could work in lwo but parts tend to get wellded during conversion; nothing like having a 400 part track get welded into 1 object. Laughing

I'm still looking for that "moder freindly" racing engine. Game designer please note, if a converter is necessary to get track models into the game it is not moder freindty. A certain racing game came out recently that was suposed to be moder freindly, the tools that came out to work on tracks and cars was a plugin for 3dsmax. yes I lost interest. If I had the money for 3dsmax, I'd buy a new truck; well new to me Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the same scaling problems with LWO, DXF looks fairly consistent.
Something I noticed in the LWO, then the dxf; so I double checked the 3ds, is inverted faces. Not the complete model though, just a part or two. easy enough to fix, so I'm not too worried about it.

Phonged the model now I have textures, thanks.

I'm done with import testing. Some of those format types I'm unfemiliar with. And it would be nice if you could add .cob, and .x. Wink
Now to try some model editing, and modeling. Then texturing.
Your doing good. I've been testing free/shareware modeling programs for a while. Most of them had been uninstalled and deleted before I got this far Wink Very Happy
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot.
do you know where I can find the cob file format ?

3DS is not consistant in the way of orienting faces. There is a menu item to fix this: 'edit->fix normals'.

have a look at the tutorials before starting modeling (and a little bit at the doc to have a clear understanding of using the views).

keep me informed of your progress/results/comments,

craouette
manleystanley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I was logged in a few minutes ago. Sence I tried that History kill demo, I can't seem to stay logged in anyware Sad

I've been modeling for a bit; about 2years. And I hate tutorials, they tend to confuse rather then help me. What I'm looking for is something to replace Metasequoia LE. It was the first modeling program that made sence to me. But it never has saved right: as in LWO is saved with a .cob lable and so on. I used to work in .obj format only as that was the only format it saved right.
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. tell me what you think of ppModeler when you will have tested it.
And if you think of improvement... I'm listening.

craouette
manleystanley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haveing that same problem with the mpegs. One click on it and a windows error messafe pops up. then the folder closes and my screen refreshes. If I double click on it fast winamp plays it; Confused Can't do anything with the file to get it to you, I'll see about saving one to it's own file and get it here.
manleystanley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe be on to something with the mpeg problem. I'll post a screen cap to illistrate.

The problem is window's thumb viewer is crashing. If you look at the thumb you will see the gray background of ppm and a black rectangle, interesting because it's an mpeg of a sphere, The black rectangle is the "mpeg rendering" window, not sure what is going on, but I think that is the problem.
Coty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craouette wrote:
do you know where I can find the cob file format ?

craouette

You may find the format through some source codes from here: http://users.skynet.be/fa201614/irrlicht/index.htm

Look at util_cob2directx.zip which I am thinking about.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm hot Evil or Very Mad Not only does the mpeg crash the folder that it is in, it will also crash the folder it's folder is in, as well as my browser if I try to upload from the folder the mpeg folder is in. I'd zip it and send it to you, but it crashes and wont zip.
Hell I even have to sneak up on it to delete it. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: