Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index Forum Albatross 3D Forum
Albatross 3D Users Forums

Albatross 3D Web Site

Register Register 
 Profile Profile    Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages    Log in Log in    Memberlist Memberlist 

Installation failing on Win-XP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Installation failing on Win-XP Reply with quote

I have attempted to install the beta on 2 different computers without success. In both instances the error message is:

Unable to execute file
C:\Program Files\Albatross3D\initrc.exe
Create process failed : code 14001
The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

(end of quote).
I suspect the problem may be that my computers lack something that Albatross needs such as python or java or the .Net framework. Or perhaps some other software or a driver is interfering?

I'm quite keen to give Albatross a try. But I can't figure out why I keep getting that same error message. I'd prefer not to install python, java or the Net framework unless I know that's necessary.

cheers,
- phil
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

There is no need for java, .Net or python... Normaly, it should installed without external libraries... But, looking on the net, it seem to be a common problem which can be fix by dowloading and installing from microsoft the following package: vcredist_x86.exe and then reinstalling the application.

Can you try and keep me informed?

Cheers,

Craouette
phil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Bad news is that the "vcredist_x86.exe" did not resolve the problem. One of the two machines actually already had it installed & gave the option to "repair", which I took. But still the same error message on both machines when finalizing the install of Albatross3D.

Good news is that it did install on a different PC. Unfortunately that one (being this same machine used by the family for the internet) is a very cheap laptap & isn't good enough to make use of the program. But at least I can now see what Albatross3D is!

Upon first running it, there seemed to be a graphics bug that I thought was due to the laptop's lack of a real video card. But it turns out that the preferences option in Albatross3D simply needed be changed to a lighter background colour before it was possible to see the program's text on certain buttons. Perhaps you should change that default?

As for the other machines, I'll continue trying to figure out why Albatross3D won't install. Whereas this laptop is running "XP home", they are running "XP professional". I doubt that's the cause of the problem though. If I ever do figure it out, I'll be sure to let you know.

cheers,
- phil
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try to run the installed program, even if the installation failed?
I will look on the net if I can found another similar problem with the solution...
Can you give me the windows version you are using on those two machines?

Cheers,

Craouette
phil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On both machines, Albatross3D won't run after the install process ends. The error message is "the application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem". ....But of course, doing so doesn't.

I had thought that both problem machines were running "XP Professional Service Pack 2", but one is "XP Home Service Pack 2". The machine that Albtross successfully installed on is running "XP Home Service Pack 3". (...but that PC is too puny to make use of the program)

Given that error message is in regard to configuration, my current line of thought is that it's a registry issue. I've been using "Regscanner" (from http://www.nirsoft.net/) to compare registry entries between the machine it works on & the XP-Pro system. So far the only obvious difference is extra entries on the XP-Pro system that include "MUI" registry entries. I googled that & found a little bit of info at http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/lofiversion/index.php/t11895.html.

The repeat attempts to install appear to have duplicated a lot of redundant registry entries which I'm guessing might be causing some sort of configuration conflict, so I'll try to clean up the registry (using CCleaner) & re-install. Odds are that it won't work. I don't truly understand how the registry works so I expect that this obstacle to installing Albatross3D will keep me scratching my head for weeks to come....

cheers,
- phil.
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have administrator privileges on both PC?
A3D is using the registry just to keep track of where the installation was performed, but it can run without it...

Another thought, can you try to install it on another path? something like c:\bin\A3D\ ...

Cheers,

Craouette
phil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the only log-in on both machines is the actual Administrator account. (....no security needed given that they're isolated from the internet & nobody else uses them).

I have already tried installing to other paths, including "C:\Albatross3D" and "C:\Apps\Albatross3D". The attempts made no difference.

Just now I took a copy from the laptop where it had worked & put that in the same folder structure on the problem PC (...as opposed to using the installer). But still got the same message that the application is not configured correctly.

Given that the machines that it won't run on are my regular work machines (that I have tweaked for my own workflow), perhaps I've disabled some service (or process) that Albatross3D needs? All I use them for is Lightwave, Blender, Photoshop & the occassional game of warcraft-3. Does Albatross3D have any kind of dependancy on Internet Explorer or Quicktime or components that might exist (or be more up-to-date) on machines connected to the internet?

cheers,
- phil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: