Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index Forum Albatross 3D Forum
Albatross 3D Users Forums

Albatross 3D Web Site

Register Register 
 Profile Profile    Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages    Log in Log in    Memberlist Memberlist 

Edge sliding, uv-unwrapping, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index -> Features Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sk2k

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Edge sliding, uv-unwrapping, etc. Reply with quote

Hi,

here some others notes i made while playing around with Alb3D.

----
When selectiing a edge the whole edge should be coloured.

Add Edge Sliding to the edge tools. I would find it useful to slide adges along the surface ot put them into another position.

Add value input for SDS weighting so the strength of smooth/sharp can be defined.

While you perform a command (extruding,scaling, etc.) the right-mouse-button should finish the command with the changes and ESC should cancel the command without changes. Alb3D should return then to the previous mode (face,vertex,edge,mesh).

Add UV-Unwrapping. I know it's a big task but this along with reworked UV-mapping could give Alb3D a usability boost.

MfG
sk2k
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Edge sliding, uv-unwrapping, etc. Reply with quote

sk2k wrote:

When selectiing a edge the whole edge should be coloured.

done.

sk2k wrote:

Add Edge Sliding to the edge tools. I would find it useful to slide adges along the surface ot put them into another position.

slide ? ok, not a problem. You already have turn (in the pop up menu).

sk2k wrote:

Add value input for SDS weighting so the strength of smooth/sharp can be defined.

there is a parameter to define hard edges (in the left, when edges os an SDS mesh are selected). Is this what you are talking about ?

sk2k wrote:

While you perform a command (extruding,scaling, etc.) the right-mouse-button should finish the command with the changes and ESC should cancel the command without changes. Alb3D should return then to the previous mode (face,vertex,edge,mesh).

You can use enter and undo.

sk2k wrote:

Add UV-Unwrapping. I know it's a big task but this along with reworked UV-mapping could give Alb3D a usability boost.

did you play with the existing one ?
add a projector, add a texture, then switch to uv projector, and edit the texture mapping.
What is missing, is an conformal map like tool, where you select edges that define the cutting part.

MfG
sk2k
sk2k

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Edge sliding, uv-unwrapping, etc. Reply with quote

craouette wrote:

sk2k wrote:

slide ? ok, not a problem. You already have turn (in the pop up menu).

I know about turn but it's not the same. Edge sliding would move the selected edge(s) along edges.

craouette wrote:

sk2k wrote:

there is a parameter to define hard edges (in the left, when edges os an SDS mesh are selected). Is this what you are talking about ?

Yes, i can set sharp or smooth but i can't set the amount of this. If i want not so sharp edges this is not possible.

craouettel wrote:

sk2k wrote:

You can use enter and undo.

That's not the same. In Alb3D when i press Enter i'm still in (for example) extrude mode and it initiate a new extrude. In most modellers (Silo,Hexagon, etc.) Enter confirms the command and return to (for example) face mode. ESC cancels the command completly and goes back to (for example) face mode.

craouettel wrote:

sk2k wrote:

did you play with the existing one ?
add a projector, add a texture, then switch to uv projector, and edit the texture mapping.
What is missing, is an conformal map like tool, where you select edges that define the cutting part.

As far as i can see there is no uv-unwrapping at all in Alb3D or i do not understand the UV things you have in Alb3D. :/ There is no way to unfold the mesh, arrange (rotate,move,scale,etc.) faces in the uv map, define seams for the cuts (your conformal map tool?), etc. Maybe i'm blended from the Blender UV unwrapping. Smile

Regarding the UV projector
None of the commands under UV-Tools works or do anything (move,rotate, etc.) also UV Rect Select. and UV Lasso do not work.
When i select a face and try to change the values in the uv coord panel Alb3D will crash.

General
Oh, another important (or not Smile) thing. When i'm in other 3d view modes then solid there is no visual feedback (colored selection) for selected faces. I hope you can add that to the other view modes so i can see what faces i have selected.
[/quote]

MfG
sk2k
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

press Enter i'm still in (for example) extrude mode and it initiate a new extrude.

Yes, it was intended like this to be able to extrude multiple time really quick.

Quote:

Yes, i can set sharp or smooth but i can't set the amount of this. If i want not so sharp edges this is not possible.

Yes, I know. For this, I recommend to use create small faces. I can add a smooth strength, may be I will have a look at it.

Quote:

Regarding the UV projector
None of the commands under UV-Tools works or do anything (move,rotate, etc.) also UV Rect Select. and UV Lasso do not work.
When i select a face and try to change the values in the uv coord panel Alb3D will crash.

What ?
I will check, they should work fine.Select a mesh, go to the mesh toolbox, add a projector.
Create a diffuse texture. change to uv projector.
then, it is recommended to switch to 2 views. In one of them. use the texture projected drawing mode ('d' key until you reach the right mode). This view shows the the texture and the projected edges. There, you can move uv, split edges (at least 2 connected should be selected) and so on.

Quote:

I will correct this.

Quote:

Oh, another important (or not Smile) thing. When i'm in other 3d view modes then solid there is no visual feedback (colored selection) for selected faces. I hope you can add that to the other view modes so i can see what faces i have selected.

yes, that is needed.

craouette
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sk2k,

did you test the uv editing ?+
Is it working ?

craouette
sk2k

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

to bad i had not much time. I tried it and it was working, Smile But how can i change the uv projected view? For me it looks that only a top down uv projected view is available. How can i move the objects side vertices into place?

I'm really confused by how the uv mapping tools are working in Alb3D. Smile

MfG
sk2k
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can view your object, from the point of view of the texture.
You can move any point in the uv space wherever you want to.

Projector are simple:
There is the mathematical ones (plane, sphere, cylindrical and face) and uv.
Uv view can be zomed with the mouse wheel (shift for bigger steps) and translated with alt-drag.
In uv view, you can select point (in uv space or 3d space) and move them in uv space.
If you want, i can make you a short movie showing the principles...

craouette
sk2k

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the princples of texture mapping but your way of doing the uv mapping looks i bit alien to me. Smile I will play with Alb3D when i'm at home again.

But why i can't use UV Lasso and UV Rect. select in the 3d view? It works only in the uv projected view? Have you checked that?

MfG
sk2k
sk2k

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, how to map the Text 3 portion of the map onto the marked area on the object?
Maybe i overlook something.

MfG
sk2k
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is simple, select your faces in 3d, then in projected mode, move the faces to the texture part.
One of the thinks you can do in this case, is to first use a cylinder projection, set it up correctly, then switch to uv projection, a make the final tweaks.

craouette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index -> Features Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: