Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index Forum Albatross 3D Forum
Albatross 3D Users Forums

Albatross 3D Web Site

Register Register 
 Profile Profile    Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages    Log in Log in    Memberlist Memberlist 

Questions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Knife tool sounds great. Maybe you could arrange the toolbox so the user can add their own favorite toolbars .
Matthew
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it... but I think it will be difficult for example to say the real extrude tool is link to the selection mode (vertex, edge, face)...
may be I will find a solution.

pierre
OmegaUltraus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: New Features Reply with quote

I don't think thats a good idea, I thinks it's great. I have to admitt the knife tool is greatly needed. Just wondering, didn't you say something once before about drawing (cutting) on a polygon. Will this function be added to the knife, or is it for the future, or is this just a discarded function idea? Being able to select what you want to put in the tool box is a great idea. It could really help with just getting what menus you want/need.

P.S.
There are 4 things I would like to say/ask.

1.) I don't know if I told you yet, but I got another computer that I do all my work on which is not connected to the internet (for not having to worry about a virus).
2.) I was wondering if this website information may help you increase the speed of this modeler. I'm not sure if it will help, but it wouldn't hurt to show you: http://graphics.stanford.edu/software/qsplat/
3.) Finally I'd like to ask if some time in the furture if it could be possible to add a texturing future where you can draw right on the object in realtime. Then be able to save the texture image, so it would be easy to load up in another program.
4.) Is there a way to do a (additive) boolean operation with 3D objects in this program already.
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Features Reply with quote

OmegaUltraus wrote:
I don't think thats a good idea, I thinks it's great.

Ok, will have a look at it. I don't know exactly how to integrate this idea...
A new toolbox, but accesible from where ? maybe from the toolbar...

OmegaUltraus wrote:
I have to admitt the knife tool is greatly needed. Just wondering, didn't you say something once before about drawing (cutting) on a polygon. Will this function be added to the knife, or is it for the future, or is this just a discarded function idea?

The knife tool is finished. I didn't post it yet because I am working on the rendering part and I want to finish a few think before releasing a new beta.
But If you want to, I can post it now...
The cutting on a polygon was an old tool I removed. It was not very stable, and limitted to one polygon at a time. I think it is best to extend the knife in order to be able to add a vertex in the middle of a face. This will provide the same functionality, but not limitted to one polygon.

OmegaUltraus wrote:

2.) I was wondering if this website information may help you increase the speed of this modeler. I'm not sure if it will help, but it wouldn't hurt to show you: http://graphics.stanford.edu/software/qsplat/

I will have a look.

OmegaUltraus wrote:

3.) Finally I'd like to ask if some time in the furture if it could be possible to add a texturing future where you can draw right on the object in realtime. Then be able to save the texture image, so it would be easy to load up in another program.

Yes, that is planed. What kind of drawing tool do you expect ?

OmegaUltraus wrote:

4.) Is there a way to do a (additive) boolean operation with 3D objects in this program already.

No, there is not. It is a very difficult algorithm to program correctly because of rounding problems... There is boolean on curves, but not on meshes.
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a video of the knife tool:
ppmodeler_knife.avi (6.2 Mo).
tell me what you think of it...

I plan to make a few more video about some of the other tools/functionalities, like:
sculpting, curve extrude, configuration, uv...
any other that come to your minds ?

pierre
OmegaUltraus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, that is planed. What kind of drawing tool do you expect ?

Nothing completely complex. Just where you are able to pick the color you want and the size, then draw on the model. If you want to get fancy, you could make it like an airbrush drawing tool. Yet, just being able to draw on the model then export the image would be great for editting the image in a drawing application.

Quote:
No, there is not. It is a very difficult algorithm to program correctly because of rounding problems... There is boolean on curves, but not on meshes.

I was just wondering, because when modeling I really don't use this function. I just wanted to know if it was there and I didn't see it Laughing .

Quote:
plan to make a few more video about some of the other tools/functionalities, like:

Not at the moment, I can't think of any.

Quote:
I will have a look.

Could you tell me if you see anything useful?
TheWraith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

long while no hear ....baby arrived safe and sound Smile

still learning with ppmodeler , hows things progressing ? Smile
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
baby arrived safe and sound

cool. he or she ?

Quote:
hows things progressing ?

not that bad. a lot in the pipe currently. I'm finishing the height field toolbox.
It will the core for terrain generation, but people will have to extend it.
I'm also improving the sculpting tool. I played with it, but on large model, the undo system is consuming to much memory, slowing down the system too much to be usable. I will reduce the memory used by undo copies and include a max sculpting undo parameter.
I'm also working on a new tool to build a mesh on top of an existing one. This is very handy to create props like rope/ribbons around arms, but also to build a low poly version on top of a high poly mesh. I will make a video to show how to use the tool.
I improved the view lighting model on textured model, and included the transparency in views (by texture or material property). I want to play a little bit with reflexion also, and maybe (but latter) with bump mapping.
That's it ! Very Happy

pierre
dweomer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craouette wrote:
plan to make a few more video about some of the other tools/functionalities, like:

Yes. Lattice deforms. I've had some trouble with that.
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, good idea.
All deformers works on the vertex level, but can be activated from any selection mode.

pierre
OmegaUltraus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Mirror Reply with quote

Just wondering, could you make a feature to where you can lock the middle (joined) verts in a mirrored model?
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all vertices in the miror plan ?
for the move and sculpting tool, thats it ?

pierre
OmegaUltraus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Just all vertices in the mirror plane for the move and sculpting, this would be fine with me.

Last edited by OmegaUltraus on Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already notice the problem with the sculpting tool.
I will have a look...
I am thinking for the moving tool... I need to add an option, because sometimes, it is needed to move this vertices.

pierre
TheWraith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy thanks Smile a big champion 10 pounder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index -> Progress All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: