Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index Forum Albatross 3D Forum
Albatross 3D Users Forums

Albatross 3D Web Site

Register Register 
 Profile Profile    Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages    Log in Log in    Memberlist Memberlist 

Simple Texturing Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heri

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Simple Texturing Question Reply with quote

I'm completely new to 3D modeling and am not about to try to sift through the messy interface that Blender has. I really like the look of ppModeler so am going to give it a shot.

For a first project, I've decided on something simple like a fake software box. I have a 55.0 x 16.0 x 75.0 box I'd like to texture. How do I know what size texture I need for the front of the box? I guess the larger the texture the better, but do I go with a texture with the same aspect ratio as the 55.0 x 75.0 that the box has (an 11x15 aspect ratio)? Like, would a texture 550x750 pixels be something that would work?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along (probably related to lighted and rendering). If I do I'll be sure to post them in this thread so I don't clutter up the forum with a ton of those "help me!!!" thread titles.

Thanks in advance for the help.
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For the texture size, it all depends on how close the texture will be seen, the size of the image you want to create, the memory you want to pend on it.
The rule here is the texture should at least have one pixel per displayed pixel.
So try with a dummy texture, and go on with better one.
It is better to have texture the same aspect ratio than your polygon, but not necessary.

craouette
Heri

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd probably keep the render small since the fake software box would be used on a website of mine (for a free PHP/MySQL forum engine I'm making) so I doubt the render would need to be larger then 275x375 (if even that). So I guess 550x750 should be plenty for the front of the box (and make it easier to work with in Photoshop). Anyways, I'll let you know when I get around to finishing it. I have so many projects going right now... Razz
Heri

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Face Projector? How do I use it? My textures don't show up on Face Projector when I right click and go to Maps>Texture Map. Would Face Projector be what I would want to place a texture directly on a flat face without any weird projection effects?
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, face projector is a bit special. It create a plane projector for each faces of the mesh, then group everythink under one texture.
This is usefull if you want to use the 3D paint tool.

For a cube, it is simpler to go the face toolbox, then select a face, then activate the texture projector and use a plane projector.

craouette
Heri

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I get it now. I had tried the plane projector and it looked terrible, but that's because I didn't adjust the angle to match the face (I'm obviously a n00b @ modeling). In regards to the face projector I was all confused. At first I thought it was something you hadn't finished developing yet since it wasn't mentioned in the help, but thanks for clarifying it's purpose. Embarassed

Besides the occasional program crash, I'm really liking ppModeler (I've been messing around with a few of the models that came with it just to get the feel of it). I really like the interface, it's much easier to get around in then Wings3D, and certainly much easier to get around in then Blender. Now I need to figure out what renderer I what to start with. I'm thinking Yafray, but that might be a bit over my head for the moment.
craouette
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for comments.
POV is good, yafray also.
The latest beta, and the incoming one, has and will come with the internal renderer of ppModeler.
I'm still working on it, but is is already usable.

craouette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Albatross 3D Forum Forum Index -> How To All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: